Saturday, April 14, 2007

Manly lace socks

I finally finished the manly lace socks for my dad. I was planning to finish these during the Easter holidays, but a lot of ripping and yarn issues got in the way.

The pattern is my own. The paired leaves lace pattern runs from the front of the cuff all the way down to the toe. On the back of the cuff, there's a pattern with twisted and purl stitches.

Up close the leaves look like this.

The whole idea for a pair of "manly" lace socks was born when I started thinking about why socks for men always have to be so boring. Ribbed cuff, stockinette, and if you're lucky, some stripes in different colors. There are some bold socks for men out there, but not that many where lace patterns are used. So here you have it, a manly lace sock. Why should men not be allowed to prance around in fancy socks? Warm their feet with something that is both beautiful and functional? No reason, I say!

Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug, "Copper Beach".

1 comment:

Pikku- Kettu said...

Kauniit sukat! En varmaan saisi miestäni pitämään mitään muuta kuin niitä tylsiä miesten sukkia, mutta isäni voisi pitääkin tällaisia. Aiotko julkistaa mallia? :)