Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Project Spectrum - Stash Denial

So I've decided that I'm only going to knit from my stash during Project Spectrum. That means I can't buy any new yarn from February to September (yeah, good luck with that...).

To get a better idea of what yarns I can use for the FIRE-theme, I decided to do a small stash inventory. I really didn't think I would have enough red/orange/pink yarn to last me through February-March.This is what I found.

DSC01705

Well, looks like this will last me a while! And I didn't even make a dent in the stash, since the greater part of it consists of green/brown/natural colored yarn. Oh, and can you tell I'm not really an orange type of girl? (And what the heck is that bright and shiny red acrylic left of the middle?)

The 3 skeins at the top left (Novita Wool) are already in use for a project, and the Aran Tweed is leftovers from my Red Sweater (which is all done and has already been worn, but I'm waiting for less gloomy weather to photograph it).

The sock yarn left-overs (tiny red skein below the right skein of Aran Tweed, dark pink skein below the two orange ones, tiny pink skein left of the Tofutsies and the bright over-exposed skein to the right of the Tofutsies) will be itty-bitty baby booties for charity. Like these.

DSC01698

They're going to the maternity ward at Keski-Pohjanmaan Keskussairaala (central hospital) to warm little newborn feet. More info here (in Finnish). I made these during the weekend, and there are more to come. I'm going to cheat a little and stray from the FIRE-theme, because I have a lot of sock yarn left-overs in other colors that I want to use up for these. And they need to be sent off by the end of February. The patterns I used can be found here (pdf), here (pdf) and here. Too cute! The ones to the right, that look like shoes, are my favorites.

7 comments:

Macoco said...

Your charity knitting is absolutely adorable.

Lolly said...

the baby booties are SO sweet! wonderful way to stashbust, and for a great cause too :)

Satu U said...

Ihania!!
They are just soooo sweet!!

Erica said...

Your little booties are just too precious! I came across your blog in a round about way and was going through some older posts, admiring your stash and being inspired by your work and I noticed you mentioned Eeva Haavisto's book Sata kansanomaista kuviokudinmallia. I have been searching for this book for years now and I realize that you have absolutely no idea who I am, but do you have any idea at all about where I might be able to find one? Thank you so much for your time and I hope you are enjoying your day.

Angelika said...

Too cute. See there is always a way to use up all those little leftovers. I'm sure you used the acrylic for some indistructable kids project. :)

Tui said...

Talk about denial. :D

AnnieMouse said...

Those are absolutly wonderful! And you're doing such nice work with them, too!