Sunday, February 25, 2007

Lingonberry jam

I took a break from the knitting yesterday, and made some lingonberry jam. I had to make some room in the freezer, but there's still a lot of berries left.



Finnish people (and Nordic people in general, I think) have this obsession with berries. When the days are getting shorter in August, everyone starts talking about if it's a good "berry year" or not. We pick blueberries and lingonberries and other kinds of wild berries, and it doesn't stop there. If you live in your own house, it's very likely that you have some kind of berries growing in your back yard. And when berry season is over, mushroom season starts, as well as the discussions about whether it has rained enough, or if it's too dry. If you know a good place to pick mushrooms (especially chanterelles) you only share that secret with family members and a select few. The same goes for really good blueberry spots.

So you see, I have to start making room in the freezer for more goodies! :)

I also made some progress on the border for my fair isle pillow, but I'll wait until it's finished before I post a picture...

No comments: